Thursday, May 31, 2018

Me Made May 2018-The Stashbusting Edition

I had meant to participate in Me Made May 2018, then I realized I had few clothes that I had sewn for myself in my daily wardrobe. I've gained a bit of weight, so the few I had no longer fit. (sadness)

Thus, I've been exercising. 

And I've been stashbusting!

I dug through my fabric stash. Some of my fabric has been waiting since the day of purchase to become fashionable. Other pieces are remnants of prior projects. And yet other bits of fabric are old garments that I thought I might be able to re-imagine.

I dug through my patterns. Since my sewing skills are scattered, I'm beginning to see that some of these patterns are actually duplicates. Which ones do I like best? Which ones can I toss because they are duplicates? Which ones are not the best look on me?

I have been exceedingly busy going out and about that I plan accordingly. I have been power crunching my time at the sewing machine, saving hand sewing of the final steps for when I watch movies in the evening.

The other day I started sharing sneak peaks at my works-in-progress.

However, I did get to wear one brand new garment when my kids and I were out and about Memorial Day weekend. So, that counts as wearing a Me Made May item!

IMG_5400

From the research I've done, this dress is based on a pattern from 1960. Stay tuned for details.


Monday, May 28, 2018

My Blue Embroidered Gingham 1960 Dress

For my latest sewing project I dug into my fabric stash and firmly decided I would give new life to my blue embroidered gingham. It had had two previous lives, first as a Civil War Era gown and second as a 1952 Walkaway Dress. Neither really worked and the third time is a charm, right?

I poured through my pattern stash and agonized over choices. I finally decided on Butterick 5930.

IMG_5491

I loved this pattern when I read about the pattern release on Lilacs and Lace's blog. She compared it to a Butterick Retro 5747 from 1960.

As much as I love the slim look, I already had a full skirt ready to go from the Walkaway dress that I had already ripped apart.  I just kept the skirt as is. Because of the cut of the Walkaway dress, I could have easily (well, rather easily) made B5930 look more like B5747. However that meant buttonholes. The buttonhole attachment does not work on my sewing machine, and I have enough buttonholes to sew by hand on many other garments I have sewn. I just wanted to conquer this dress and wear it for Memorial Day.

So, really all I had to do was cut out the bodice and fiddle with the dickey and collar, attach to the skirt, partially sew the back seam of the skirt, and handpick the zipper.

IMG_5490

It fit quite well at home. Then when I was out and about on Memorial Day weekend, the shoulders kept trying to slide down. I want to make little attachments inside the underneath portion of the shoulders to attach to my bra straps...because perfectly fitting to myself is virtually hopeless.

Other than that I really loved wearing the dress. And the dress is 100% cotton which I like, a lot! And I love the embroidery on the gingham.  I purchased it at Jo Ann in San Antonio, Texas over 9 years ago. It's difficult to find fabric like this in the stores these days. I had been so nervous to cut into it, and had made 2 previous outfits. This 1960 dress is a keeper.

IMG_5489

And now for the photo shoot. Many thanks to my son who took the photos. Um, except no one told me my slip was showing. (I was wearing my eyelet slip, that I had previously sewn.) And my hair got quite a bit out of place. I had been wearing it down indoors, but it was a humid day with rain threatening. I put it up to stay as cool as possible. I had no idea. Oh, well. I love the setting though...especially the flag.

IMG_5395

IMG_5397

IMG_5398

IMG_5399


IMG_5400