Thursday, March 15, 2012

18th Century Ladies' Cap with Sage Green Bow

I finally have a proper 18th century ladies' cap! Using a Kannik Korner pattern, I chose to make a round eared cap with single gathered split-ruffle.

Photobucket

I used a light weight 100% cotton with an almost sheer basket weave effect from Burnley and Trowbridge, who advertised it as being perfect for caps, kerchiefs, aprons, etc. I purchased a few yards of this because I liked it so much and I'm glad I did because they are now out of stock. =(

Photobucket

I completely handstitched this using a variety of stitches like back stitch, eyelet, hem stitch and whipped gathers.

Photobucket

Then I played with it for a couple of hours, trying to find the best hairstyle for my super thick hair so I can best wear this cap. For reference I went through my photos from Colonial Williamsburg of the lady interpreters to see how they wear their caps. I do have a pin to help hold my cap in place. I purchased my cap pins and hat pins from Tarpleys, a store in the Colonial Williamsburg historic area.

No comments:

Post a Comment