Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Another Year of BSF...which was Unique this Year

Another year of Bible Study Fellowship is now complete. This year we studied the Gospel of John. My small group leader was Julie, who designed the name tags (shown below) for our group. She chose the grapes to decorate our name tags because of John 15, which talks about Jesus, who is the true vine, and the fruit we are to produce in Him.

IMG_3191

Sadly, Julie was suddenly admitted to intensive care in March with an unexpected, serious condition. A few week's later, as she was recovering, she sent an e-mail to our small group...and she asked us to send her Bible verses. She was quite hopeful about joining us at the end of the year.

I told her that while I was recovering from surgery many years ago, these verses strengthened me:
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. II Corinthians 1:3-5
A week later, the afternoon before Good Friday, she passed away.

When I attended her funeral the following week, I learned that she was born on Easter Sunday.  Sad as we were, we rejoiced that this year she spent Easter with her Savior in Heaven.

Julie led another Bible study apart from our small group. She loved digging deeply into her Bible. The family had difficulty choosing her favorite verses to share, because much of her Bible was underlined.

I remember discussing John 15 with her in small group. We talked about bearing fruit. I guess some of that  comes as a result of the verses I shared above, II Corinthians 1:3-5.

I really don't know how to end this. My heart still holds some grief, even though I rejoice that she is with her Savior now.

Actually, Julie would want me to share an invitation with my readers to join a Bible Study Fellowship near them. BSF is international with meetings for men, meetings for women, and meetings for children. Next year we will study Romans.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for the loss of your leader and friend, but rejoicing for her gain now! I just finished up my fourth year in BSF, and studying John, especially after studying Revelation the previous year, was so good. It's the book I've probably read and studied the most, but never seem to glean enough from. This has been the most difficult year of my life, and the book of John has taught me so much through the struggles. I would second your invitation to your readers to find a BSF group to join. The accountability and the prayer support are so important. May the LORD continue to offer healing to you and to the family and friends of your leader, Julie. May He cause you all to remember the gifts and passion that He gave to everyone through her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, how neat that you attend as well! I'm glad you commented because I had lost touch...I think with all the blog moves. I am following you now on blogger.
      Blessings,
      Laurie

      Delete