Friday, May 12, 2017

Me Made May 2017

Editor's Note: Scroll down for daily photo updates throughout the month of May, that will include links to my sewing projects and research.

IMG_1098


I've been extremely busy, but it's that time of year again...making the pledge for Me Made May 2017 which is hosted by SoZo! She has such a great idea about showcasing our sewing skills. So often we talk about what we make, but we don't talk about what we wear (that we have actually made). I've been sewing since the 5th grade. It all began as a project to complete a Girl Scout Badge. Then it became a craft of necessity because sewing can be less expensive and better quality because we can fine tune the fit to ourselves. Off the rack clothes never fit me nor my daughter. Now that I've learned out to drape, I'm starting to explore creating my own style or amending the ones I do find on the rack, if it does happen to fit and if I'm crunched for time...like I am these days.

Despite my stash of patterns and a closet full of fabric, I've had little time to sew. Since last Me Made May I've sewn only a few pieces of clothing, mostly for my daughter. The only one I recall from the top of  my head for myself was the linen skirt (shown above) which is actually a refashion of a very simple, long skirt I got at TJMaxx. I love wearing it! There are photos of me wearing it at the Historic Occoquan, at the Prince William County Fair, and Colonial Williamsburg!

Nevertheless I hope to squeeze in a bit of sewing this month, but first up is a quilt for my niece whom I will meet for the first time in Texas next month! However the clothing sewing must begin because all the old clothes are completely worn out.  

Anyway, one thing I've learned from participating in Me Made May is that I have more sewn items in my closet than I've given myself credit for. It also motivates me to conquer a few of those projects I've been meaning to get to.

As far as setting my obligatory pledge for Me Made May, that is tricky. The rule for May in Northern Virginia seems to be chilly, so I rarely have much to wear, since I have few winter items that I've sewn. However I am going to Texas this May with my kids, so the weather will take a quick switch from wintry days to summery days!

Based on past years, realistically, I think I will be able to pledge thusly...

'I, Laurie at Teacups in the Garden, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '17. I endeavour to wear one sewn garment each day for the duration of May 2017.'

Throughout May I will upload photos of my ensembles to this post. Meanwhile you can see other years that I've participated:

2015

2016

me-made-may'17

MAY 1

And so we begin documenting and sharing that we actually wear, out and about in public, all these clothes that we sew. Although documenting is not a requirement, it is fun and lots of us like to do it. Go on Twitter and check #mmmay17 to see what everyone is sewing and wearing for inspiration, because that is the goal: t inspire others that they can sew their own clothing too!

For the first day of May I am wearing some bluejeans that I have sewed for  myself. Why bluejeans? Because these fit me better than anything that is storebought off the rack because I was able to tailor them just to me.  My sewing process is here, and my research on the history of bluejeans is here. Also this photo includes a sneak peak at my current sewing project, a quilt for my niece! Almost done for  my upcoming trip to Texas at the end of the month!

5-1

I've been so busy that I've lost track of this project. Most of our days in May have been cold, so I've been wearing my blue jeans quite a bit. However on Mother's Day we were at the Purcellville, Virginia historic depot, so it was a great place for a photo shoot. I had received a lovely rose at church that happened to match the skirt of my dress. Here are the details on sewing my dress.

IMG_3227

My daughter happened to be wearing a blouse I had sewn for her. Details on sewing this blouse are here.

IMG_3228

My daughter also graduated from George Mason University last week! She wore the lavender dress I had sewn (details here) for her high school homeschool graduation. I'm not sure we got a picture of that or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment