Monday, August 15, 2016

Prince William County Fair, Homemade Ice Cream Machine, Tatting Lesson and Convention of States


We used to go to the Comal County Fair all the time in Texas. We've visited a few others too but Comal is always our favorite. Since we've moved to Virginia eight years ago my husband has been trying to drag me to the Prince William County Fair, but it took being a Convention of States volunteer to get me there. Read all about that here...

IMG_1855

It was a super hot day...of course! Who ever thought of having a fair in August, the hottest month of the year? Everyone kept remarking on how hot it was and I kept replying by saying in Texas we have our fairs in Sept and Oct, when it's much cooler.

My husband came too and popped in and out all day to check on me at the booth. No, I didn't need food. Yes, I was hot! When my shift ended at 5pm, my husband came to pick me up. Now I was ready for food! We found something to eat in the blazing heat outdoors. We found a picnic table in the shade to eat it. Then he took me to the ice cream. It's not Blue Bell, but it was pretty good. Peach flavored and homemade. And it was cold.

IMG_1856

Their machine was so much fun I had to take a video of it...



Then we returned to the building I had been volunteering at to see what all the vendors had. The first table, next to the open door, where all the heat was pouring in and all the a/c was pouring out, was a lady tatting. She's a Civil War reenactress so we had a nice chat about the historical methods in the different centuries. I told her I was most trained in the 18th century so we addressed that. I had been trying to learn how to tat on my own, but it is not easy. I gathered that the trick is in the flick of the wrist, and she confirmed that. She made it look so easy. I never thought to take a picture. It was so hot.

We walked further in to the relative coolness of the building when I suddenly insisted on having a picture taken with Troy Aikman! I couldn't believe I found him in Virginia!

IMG_1858

A couple of more booths up was my COS booth where some of the guys were working. I was very thankful that our booth was on that end of the building, away from the door that was left open at the other end with all the heat pouring in.

Then we walked around all the prize entries. This project was my favorite science fair exhibit from the school children. However it didn't win a prize. ???

IMG_1859

IMG_1865

IMG_1866

IMG_1867

This crocheted doily brought back a flood of memories. My mom and grandma had sets of these when I was little.

IMG_1874

Then it was time return to the blazing heat to see all the interesting animals...

IMG_1877

IMG_1878

IMG_1879

IMG_1880

IMG_1881

IMG_1882

IMG_1883

IMG_1884

IMG_1885

IMG_1886

IMG_1887

IMG_1889

IMG_1890

IMG_1895

IMG_1896

IMG_1898

IMG_1899

IMG_1900

IMG_1901

IMG_1902

Then I saw this bull. Hmmm...

IMG_1903

IMG_1904

Around the corner I found another one of these mechanical bulls. Not quite what I was used to...

IMG_1905

This was a unique (to me) fair exhibit...an opportunity to pet sting rays. I've done that, and fed them, at Kemah Boulevard on the Galveston Bay near Houston, Texas years ago.

IMG_1907

Now who can result the quintessential funnel cake. We always get one funnel cake to share at the fair. It's tradition!

IMG_1908

IMG_1909

IMG_1910

IMG_1911

IMG_1912

It was still blazing hot, but it wasn't as bad with the sun beginning to set. I love watching the sun behind the clouds like this...

IMG_1913

IMG_1914

IMG_1915

IMG_1917

IMG_1918

IMG_1919

IMG_1920

IMG_1921

IMG_1922

IMG_1923

IMG_1924

IMG_1925

IMG_1926

IMG_1927

We walked all over, scanned all over the map, but no rodeo, which disappointed us. I used to love attending the rodeos in Texas. Instead they do tractor pulls here and they were getting quite noisy. With all that noise, it was time to leave.

IMG_1929

Attendance was low. It was going to be so hot the next day that they were going to delay opening for a few hours. Well I knew where I was going to be the next day...on the water in Maryland on the Chesapeake! That's the way to spend a hot summer day! Stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment