Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Prohibition Ice Cream

7-5-16

Every 4th of July we make homemade ice cream the old fashioned way! Hand cranking at its best!


IMG_1193

In the past we've made Butter Pecan but our favorite is Almond Fudge. We've even created Rocky Road and Mint Chocolate Chip.

This time though we dug up a very old recipe from the bottom of my recipe box. I first tasted it at my husband's family reunion where they hand cranked a lemony ice type of ice cream. My mother-in-law swore me to secrecy so I'm not allowed to share the recipe. On my recipe card it's merely titled, "Ice Cream." As non-descript as the title is, the resulting "ice cream" is powerfully potent!

IMG_1218

My kids don't remember this ice cream even though it's all we made when they were little. (They are college age now...21 and over.) While I was preparing the base my son was both flabbergasted and concerned when he saw 4 oz of extract in the recipe. (Um, you can see the empty bottles on the counter in the picture.) He asked, "Isn't that a lot of alcohol that never gets cooked out?" Hmmm, I had never thought about that before. No wonder it has always tasted so strong. Well, in the conversations that have followed, we were wondering how old this recipe was and where it originated? Also, I began to speculate as to the amount of extract called for in the recipe. So, I asked my mother-in-law.

She said that this was her mother's recipe, so she firmly dated it back to 1920-1930. That is exactly what my son and I were guessing. She assured me that no one ever got drunk on the ice cream.

I commented that it had a prodigious amount of sugar and extract to which she agreed that it was quite rich. (I'm guessing now that all the sugar is meant to offset the tinny taste of too much extract.)

Well, in all the conversations my son and I had about this ice cream, my speculations about the extract continued to grow. My speculations were neither confirmed nor denied by any evidence my mother-in-law provided. I didn't want to give anything away, so I didn't tell her what I was really thinking. Instead, I began to do some research. However my research yielded little. Thus, I'm going to announce to my readers my suspicions. 

This recipe, with the prodigious amount of extract, that originated from the 1920's....I mean, doesn't that obviously point to a homemade recipe to deal with prohibition that results in...Boot Leg Ice Cream!?!?!!! Consider this article from Bon Appetit on the potency of extract.

(Just to be safe, we only ate the ice cream after all driving duties were done for the day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment