'Tis the season for Secret Sister time again! Secret Sister is an annual event with an international on-line homeschool support group that I've been part of for 10 years. Each Christmas we receive a Secret Sister for whom to pray and purchase an ornament. Often I try to sew a little something as well. Our group now meets on facebook and a discussion about zipper cases ensued, to which my Secret Sister, Holly from Indiana, positively replied! Well...I already had a pattern because last summer my daughter asked me to sew a zipper case for her for Christmas.
I had never sewn a zipper case before. I confess I've been quite intimidated by the idea. I swore I'd never sew one of those! Then when I committed to sewing one for my daughter, I couldn't image it being successful. Surely it is an impossible feat. I couldn't imagine how they even come together.
One recent Saturday morning I ventured to the task since my box was due to go into the mail to Indiana. It took me quite some time to gather the supplies, because the zipper I had purchased with the other supplies never made it to the shopping bag. When I got home my shopping bag had all the supplies minus that zipper. I guess it fell through the cracks of the shopping basket. Sadly, there are no longer any sewing stores near me. I have to venture into the traffic miles east of me to gain a simple zipper. Which meant another trip. No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My friends started teasing me with a rewrite of the book, If You Gave a Mouse a Cookie. Believe it or not, I've never read that book, although I think I get the gist. However the oddity of the situation was that a few days earlier I spent the day chasing down a mouse in the house!! I'm glad to announce that by late afternoon the mouse finally left the house.
At last all my supplies were gathered. I laid out my fabrics. I soon changed the course of the mission rather significantly. The various interfacings required for the project were confusing. I could not find the specific ones listed on the pattern. I tried to google on my phone basic descriptions of the required interfacings so that I could substitute the appropriate thickness and hand of drape. By the time I got to work, I was not liking the idea of using them at all. With another read through of the directions, I decided to forego modern interfacings and do this zipper case in an apporpriate method for the 18th century. I used self-fabric and in the end, it worked just fine! I tend to go this route for sewing modern clothing too and I always like it so much more. So now for the grand reveal because...
It actually looks like a zipper case! It even works like a zipper case! I can't believe how therapeutic it was to pull away from the busy-ness of life to just sit and sew and create.
Honestly, I can't believe I sewed this!
I'm amazed at how simple it was!
It actually took me parts of two days to sew this. However if I had full-time sit down time, I could have easily sewn this in a day!
So, I have one more to make for my daughter's Christmas present! I bought some fun fabric that will be perfect for her! I'm excited to hear what her friends at college say when they see it! Stay tuned!