Our latest redecorating project was all about fixing problems, like finally painting over a previous homeowner's craft project. We had had a lot of trouble buying a house 7 years ago. Every time we put down an offer or tried to write an offer someone else snatched it up. During those tortuous weeks of waiting for an offer to be accepted (not!) we kept coming back to this house...the house that needed all the work. This house had sat on the market for 6 months! One reason was because no one wanted to buy a house with flowers stamped on the ceiling.
Now, what color does that ceiling look like? Sort of white, right? So.......if you were to paint this ceiling, which shade of white would you choose?
We chose a shade from Lowes (to save some money) that matched "White Shadow" in a sample size. That was a good idea because the color was a poor match!
We thought it was white! Perplexed, I held the paint chips to the ceiling in the best lighting I could find. Hmm....my first guess was the whites on the far right, but those were obviously wrong. What could the correct color be? Back and forth to the store. After two or three samples that were clearly wrong, we tried a different approach. I went to the fb page for our community and did a search for a previous discussion on ceiling paint color and found the recommendation: Cool Platinum (the second color on the far left. They had to be kidding! Dubious, more paint was purchased, again in a sample size. And they were right! It was nearly a perfect match!
Here's a close-up of "Cool Platinum."
There were other reasons that we were painting our ceiling. Around the corner in the foyer there was a spot where we had disassembled and taken down an old smoke detector that had become useless. That left holes in the ceiling from the screws. Also there were scuff marks in the ceiling. How does someone get scuff marks on a ceiling?
Thus I had to pack up my sewing room (which is housed in the dining room). Drop cloths prepared to hang from the ceiling.
The chandelier had been protected. A primer coat was painted over the flowers.
A few years ago Hurricane Sandy leaked through that wall.
Then work began on the kitchen ceiling to cover up an old stain from a leak years before we moved in. It's all tight now, since we had a new roof put on last year. Also there are stains from leaks on the other side of the kitchen...and upstairs in the stairwell. So there is lots of ceiling to paint. Not fun.
Time to protect this new chandelier...
Drop cloth and tape in place...
Old stain from previous homeowner now primed...
Old leak from previous homeowner days now fixed and primed...
Repainting the entire ceiling requires pulling out the pot lights so they don't get painted too.
I got rid of some of this stuff. Moved some of it elsewhere. Packed up all the patriotic stuff, and brought out all the autumn stuff. Then I repurposed old autumn decor and put the rest aside for the Salvation Army. The pile for them is growing.
So that is why I haven't been blogging. I've also reorganized all the files of important paperwork (I did that during the Olympics.) That has been worthwhile because now I can find important papers when we need it. Also all of this reorganizing has us thinking long term to put my sewing room in the basement. Stay tuned!