Sunday, September 4, 2016

Simplicity 2594 in Red and Black for my Daughter

A few years ago my daughter's Spanish teacher gifted the girls in the class with a surplus of skirts that she preferred to re-gift. My daughter was in love with this skirt! Here she is holding it up to herself the night she received it. She has since worn it with a black slimline sweater, which looks quite sharp and is most comfortable in the cooler months. However, I've had on my "to sew" list an appropriate  blouse for the summer months.

134_0076

This summer I've been knocking out a lot of badly needed contemporary sewing that my daughter and I need, although it doesn't look all that productive. That's because I've actually slowed down to make toiles and test my gazillions of patterns. I'm finally starting to learn about how patterns work, how styles work, and how fabrics work. I've decided that I will enhance the process by making a study of the fabrics and patterns I have, sink or swim, to see exactly how they work. For me and sewing, the learning is in the doing, as well as from learning from my mistakes, painful as that is.

In the process of agonizingly fitting a shorts pattern for myself, I took a break when I separated out my fabrics by families. My entire fabric stash in the closet is now organized by families on each shelf: historically accurate/appropriate, contemporary, home decor, quilting, and toile/muslin appropriate. While going through the toile fabric pile, one color in particular caught my eye. It was a thin cotton (I think broadcloth from JoAnn or Hancock) that was cheery apple red. It was left over from an old Spartan costume and an old Roman costume my son wore for homeschool history presentations years ago. I had a vague memory of this color being in my daughter's skirt from her Spanish teacher. I went up to her closet to find her skirt. Sure enough, the red fabric perfectly matched the skirt.

IMG_2176

I wondered if I could eek out a blouse from the fabric remnants. Simplicity 2594 fit perfectly for View E, which is not bias cut. Further, I had to be willing to piece the front. I had no folded edge to center the front on, only a straight edge, one for the back and one for the front because the remnant was that narrow. I formed a plan to conceal the seam with lace, hopefully black lace, hopefully black daisy lace. The black would be dramatic against the red and both colors were minor colors in the skirt which would be perfect. I thought a daisy lace would compliment the skirt well. Besides, my daughter likes that flower a lot. I decided to forge ahead with the blouse and whipped it out in no time and fuss about the lace later.

Then we found a day she had off from both school and work to go go Jo Ann's with me to look for lace. I brought the blouse with me to show my daughter how and where I would lay the lace to get her approval, since she didn't quite understand my vision, though she did trust my plans. I was delighted to find exactly what I was looking for! I laid it across the various parts of the blouse and my daughter  loved it! So for the cost of only lace, my daughter has a new blouse!

IMG_2175

I applied the lace to all the seam lines: at the center front, the shoulders and across the back!

IMG_2177

Here is a close-up of the daisy lace...

IMG_2181

She likes her new outfit a lot, having worn it a few times already.

No comments:

Post a Comment