Sunday, July 3, 2016

Refashioning a Linen Skirt from Plain to Ruffles

A few years ago I bought this white linen skirt at TJ Maxx at a great price. However it forlornly hung in my closet unworn, because it seemed so plain and boring to me.

101_2236

A few months ago I decided to try my hand at refashioning it to a more interesting style. I cut off strips from the bottom, ruffled them, then applied them to the new shorter skirt bottom.

101_2240

I added as many ruffled layers as I could. My goal was three, but two was the limit and turned out to be a wonderful take on 19th century frilly, reminiscent of my historical wardrobe!

101_2284

My goal was to wear this for MeMadeMay but the month was surprisingly miserably cold. I finally took it out for a spin last Sunday to church. Afterwards my son kindly took this photo of me, purposely positioning me towards a patriotic element before I whipped up lunch so we could hike along the Potomac River that afternoon! (That blog post is forthcoming, along with many other travel posts. Intensely teaching geometric proofs has been consuming  my time as of late, but that will culminate next week!)

IMG_1098

I have to say, the frills were fabulous to wear!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! I really like the re-made skirt. :) It has much more personality.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete