I'm sorry, but I do think I forgot to share with everyone my latest progress on my 19th century petticoat that I'm recreating based off of one at the MET. I previously shared the broderie anglaise work that I did to create the scallops.
While deciding where to showcase all 145" I decided to abandon the previous boring shots of my 21st century family room floor and use my modern colonial entryway. It's not as cleverly laid out as colonial homes of the 18th century, where many an English Country Dance made Virginian hearts cheerful. (A certain 18th century tutor, Philip Vickers Fithian wrote in his journal, "Virginians must dance or they will die.") Despite the fact that my entryway is too squeezy for proper dancing, it's enough for 145" of scallops!!!! And I love the scallops, because they make me feel like dancing 19th century style!
My last post showcased the completion of the tedious stitching to properly edge the scallops. My latest task has been to oh so carefully snip away the excess fabric to showcase the completed scalloped edge!
Someday I hope to work on another petticoat by doing all of the paisley eyelets by hand so that I can make a more precise reproduction! This is a great project to take on the go, and I'm on the go a lot! In fact, my near future holds much promise for being out and about even more. I think I'll pack away not only a historical book for my reading pleasure, but also a historical sewing project. It certainly does foster much conversation with those who see my work. I love having a chance to share a bit of history through the venue of historic sewing.
But for now, my next task is to attach this edge to the body of the skirt and then to recreate the tucks.
After that, completion should be a snap. Then I'll have a new petticoat to wear with my mid-19th century gown. My future to-do list includes adding a more appropriate faced hem to my gown, so stay tuned for more historic sewing!