Saturday, April 9, 2016

A Vocation for Government

I'm always on the look out for great books to read. I especially enjoy non-fiction, because I love to learn. I've amassed quite a collection which I have purposed to actually read and make a decision on this year. A few I have read and sadly laid in the used book store pile, but others have grabbed my attention. These books are the keepers. They have to grab me in the first few pages and hold me in their grip with solid content that is well-researched and detailed. Why I find such a book I have to share since I know other homeschoolers looking for great books to read.
Another great homeschool resource I have stumbled upon is God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in all of Life by Gene Edward Veith, Jr. I first became aware of this book at my son's college, Patrick Henry College. A copy was found in my son's information packet on one of our campus visits in his senior year of homeschool.
I read the book a few months ago and was glad to find its uniqueness in content in regards to our calling as Christians. Most of it was review to me. Having internalized these concepts in school, church and from those I knew while growing up in Texas, I taught those same ideas in my own homeschool with my kids. Dr. Veith covers topics such as how God works through Christians, and the purpose of vocation. Then he details our vocations in our jobs, in our family, as a citizen, and in our church. All of that is followed with ethics and Christianity.
My favorite chapter was about our vocation as a citizen because I think this is perhaps the least understood as our Christian duties and opportunities. What a wonderful opportunity we have as Americans to live in a country where as citizens we get to be active in government. Our forefathers came to this country for this opportunity. I have never seen this topic written about so thoroughly before. Veith does a  masterful job of laying out history and Scripture to help us understand our calling to actively be involved in government, in various ways from voting to speaking and standing with truth and supporting the Constitution. Why supporting the Constitution? Because our Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution based on God's moral law. He also discourses on the uniqueness of our calling as Americans. This is the best treatise I have ever read detailing the duty of the Christian and government. I highly recommend it!

101_2140

No comments:

Post a Comment