When we first moved here to Northern Virginia 7 years ago, one of my first tasks was to repaint all the walls in the house. They were awful...and were partly the reason why this house sat on the market for 6 months until we arrived. As soon as I saw this house I had a vision and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I was rather firm with most paint colors. Meanwhile I was shopping for fabric to sew window treatments for the house.
About this time I met a lady who was a designer. She excitedly asked me about all of my paint colors. She highly approved! She knew exactly which colors I meant when I named them! I told her I was a bit perplexed about the family room, so she volunteered to come over and give me advice. I thanked her but told her I didn't have a budget to pay her. She said she'd come for free just because she likes to give advice.
Everything she saw she liked...except the family room. She didn't like the furniture. However I had no budget to buy new furniture. She liked the greens in the living room and dining room and the yellow in the kitchen. She suggested a golden green for the family room...since everything was open concept, to blend the greens and yellows on the floor.
I had yellow in the stairwell but wasn't sure which color to put where in the mid-section of the house where all the colors came together. She told me exactly which wall would take which color. I wrote notes on each wall...for yellow or green. I even bought the golden green for the family room. I like that color a lot, especially since it's called "Lafayette"!
However the designer did not like my choice of large floral prints in the family room, with a black background. She highly recommended going with a robin's egg blue for the family room accent color, and for the window treatments. She said it was highly popular, and would help to bring out the blue from the kitchen.
Hmmm...as much as I like robin's egg blue on its own, I didn't know how much I'd like it against my golden green walls with the beige furniture in the family room. However I dutifully bought some robin's egg blue window treatments. I had trouble locating window treatments that didn't have too much pattern. I bought these long drapes at Target and the valences at JCPenney. I chose not to use drapes behind the couch, because there is an a/c vent on the floor. Long window treatments definitely would not work there. I really wanted some luscious silk fabric to drape on the fireplace wall (where there are no vents) to frame the fireplace. However I couldn't afford the nice stuff. This is used a lot in the Parade of Homes in Texas and we always like it, and it looks French, however it wasn't in the budget. I bought a shantung which was cheap at Target.
I've lived with this color scheme for the last 7 years. Alas, it has not grown on me. I had some silk hydrangeas that have some robin's egg blue in them that I usually have in the silver urn from Colonial Williamsburg in the far right of the photo. However I hadn't gotten around with replacing my Christmas hydrangeas with the blue ones. I liked my red and cream hydrangeas much better than the blue...
Sooooo....I did a bit of on-line shopping on February 29. I had received a 29% discount from JCPenney in the e-mail that day, so I decided to look for valences I might like. I also had a $10 discount that was going to expire that week that I had earned from Christmas purchases. I like the line of Waverly valences, so I looked at those. I found a set that looked quite similar to what I had originally wanted to buy. They had a med-large floral print, almost Colonial Williamsburg style. There were reds and greens on a background of black. They were on super sale. On top of that I applied all of my discounts. I ordered 5 valences for $100! They arrived by the end of the week. (I looked again on-line after they arrived. I forget why, but they were sold out. I guess I bought the last 5 and they must have had exactly 5 waiting for me!) I couldn't wait to put them up! I think everything flows so much better now. (The lamps will likely be replaced someday. They are old. But for now they work. I haven't found any I like at a price I like yet.)
The new valences coordinate so much better with the window treatments I had made for the French doors 7 years ago.
Here you can see the various walls in the center of the house, some yellow and some green, as my decorator friend suggested.
I like how the greens of the curtain pull out the green from the wall.
Yes, we are all quite happy with the change!
I reused the blue window treatments in the master bedroom suite. They look better up there.
Since we are redecorating the house on a tight budget, I'm glad that we conquered these window treatments for $100. They can be quite pricey, and I'm really not keen on spending money on something I don't love.
Looking forward to doing another project! This one was fast and easy! Although I've sewn many of my other window treatments, this saved me a lot of time for me to do other projects.