Saturday, March 26, 2016

My Daughter's Birthday,Trifle and Daffodils

Last weekend we celebrated my daughter's birthday. I sewed some new blouses for her to wear which I'll share more about later. She also got lots of new bits and pieces to chic up her shabby chic room. I hope to share  more on that too. Since she likes to make jewelry, she also got some jewelry pieces.Oh and the also got a new desk the week before, upon which I placed a vase full of daffodils to enjoy while she did her college studies.

101_2223

She's not much into cake, so she asked for a strawberry type dessert. I used to make trifle all the time for our 4th of July dessert, which was always a hit with the family. However I haven't made it since moving to Virginia because we used to go to Colonial Williamsburg all the time for July 4th. As I result I forgot all about the dessert. This time I decided to make the pudding from scratch. 

101_2222

I also made the sponge cake from scratch, with a hint of orange flavoring.  After everything cooled I assembled the trifle. First I prepped the fruit: strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. I sliced the strawberries then added some sugar. This not only sweetens under-ripe strawberries in the off-season, but also creates a delicious syrup.  Then I cut up the sponge cake and laid that in the bowl. After that I poured the strawberries with syrup over the cake, so that the cake could soak up all that yumminess. Then came the pudding, blueberries and blackberries, and finally the whip cream.

101_2224

Here's a peak of strawberry. I'm out of practice at making this look pretty. I ran out of the various components. I'm not quite sure how that happened.

101_2226

The best part was the strawberry soaked sponge cake. My daughter agreed!

No comments:

Post a Comment