Friday, January 1, 2016

Of Books, Gowns and Lessons Learned in a New Year

I wish I had a photograph of a certain stack of books. (photo insertion at later date)

And here they are!!!

101_1883

101_1884

When I was in junior high, my mom was in despair because my English teachers were not assigning me great literature to read. Thus she purchased a stack of books for me to open on Christmas Day. I was used to getting books for Christmas, wonderful books, that I'd devour in a week, only a few hundred pages each. However that year was to be the year for classical literature with far more hundreds of pages, adventures, mighty steeds, and rustling crinolines. Under the Christmas tree that particular year I found books that transported me to places I've never been, into events I never imagined, with heroines who wore gowns I dreamed of wearing. Because of those books I was transported to the worlds of Scarlett O'Hara, Jane Eyre, Catherine Earnshaw and Lucie Manette.
To escape the world of pain (I got my braces that week) I escaped the burning of Atlanta, became a governess in a mysterious mansion, the torturous love of Heathcliff and the older Catherine, and braved the French Revolution.
Hmmm, how does one torture bring relief from another? Such is the way of the classical novel that endures the test of time. The lessons learned unveil hope...
..."after all, tomorrow is another day." (Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell)
..."even for me life had its gleams of sunshine." (Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte)
..."as soon as they are married, and that will be on New Year's Day." "I believe the dead are at peace." (Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte)
..."It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known." (A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens)
May your new year be full of books that bring adventure, wit, wisdom, lessons learned, knights in shining armor, and a few rustling petticoats!

No comments:

Post a Comment