Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Christmas Crafts from the Past...and Tracking Santa

While digging in my cedar box where Christmas pillows, Christmas books, and memories of all sorts are stored, I found a few treasures from years ago.

When my children were toddlers I made these decorative dish cloths with them to give as gifts to the grandmas, and one for me too! I bought plain dish cloths at the store. Then with craft paints I dipped my kids' hands and fingers into craft paint to create the designs. Not only was it a cute momento, it qualified as proper Sensory Integration activity (texture) too!

This is supposed to be a wreath...

101_1657

This one is supposed to be a Christmas tree.

101_1659

Then to go way back when I was a little girl, this was my dachshund's Santa Claus costume. My grandmother had it made and mailed it down to us. Duke loved to wear this. The belt attached underneath his belly. The beard used to be attached to the hat with elastic. Not sure if I have a proper picture of Duke wearing this, that would be clear. All those photos from the 70's and 80's are in poor shape. 

101_1656

Meanwhile I have lots of Christmas posts to catch up on. I've had a busy month, and a bit of illness that dragged me down. I fell lots better now. I'm busy with holiday preps and have a few ideas in my head to share.

On that note, I think I'll end this kid oriented post with a fun kid activity, tracking Santa with NORAD! As of this writing Santa starts his journey in 4 hours! It's not only fun but a great way to conceptualize (and teach kids) about timeframe across our world, since Santa makes his first delivery at the point of earth that first has nightfall on Christmas Eve. Where would that be? That's a good thought to ponder, then be sure to follow up on the Santa adventures around the world, as he travels to major sites that many of us only get to read about in books!

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment