Sunday, December 20, 2015

1957 Christmas Party Dress

Every December my husband's office has a Christmas party at a gorgeous country club in Fairfax, Virginia. I have so far worn store bought blouse and skirt #1 and store bought blouse and skirt #2 to the event. Last time a lady who with us found out about my sewing when she asked me..."So what do you do?" That led to her strongly encouraging me to sell my wares...which I still don't think I'm good enough to do. So I showed her photos from my cell phone, but she still loved everything. It only prompted her to take my e-mail address to prompt me to get busy sewing and selling! That strongly led me to think I should start sewing more of my own clothes. I will only improve my sewing the more I sew.
Also, I have been further inspired by Katrina of Edelweiss Patterns because every year she sews 2 vintage Christmas dresses, one for her and one for her mother. 
One of the items on my dream list has been a 1950's Christmas party dress. I settled on this Vintage Vogue pattern from 1957. I did a bit of quick last minute shopping at JoAnn where the options led me to a red satin. As I pulled that from the shelf, I noticed tucked behind it a changeable red/black silk taffeta called Iridescent Red Tango. Well, there would be dancing...not that my husband likes to dance although I thought it would be fun! All 5 yards of 60" fabric and required notions came to a mere $25! 

101_1348
Laying out the pattern was not as easy as the directions implied. After playing around with various arrangements I settled with these layouts, done in 3 sets, based on how I had to lay out the selvages.

In this photo the fold is on the right and selvage is on the left.
101_1415
Here I brought the selvages to the middle which left the folds on each side.
101_1416
Finally I put the fold at the top with the selvages on each side. 101_1417
Bodice before the facing was added...
101_1537
Bodice done...
101_1542
Now for the various interesting skirt pieces.
101_1543
One corner had to overlap with another (in the third layout shown above) so I pieced the missing part which is now mostly hidden by the hem.
101_1553
As I sewed my dress, I matched the directions from the Vogue pattern to my Couture Sewing Techniques book. Since it is my goal to improve my sewing skills and to do more couture type work, I tried to apply every technique I could.

108_2733


Edges of the seams were often overcast by hand in couture houses, however the author admitted that in these days of modern  machinery, couture houses often save time (for a cheaper price) by overcasting them by machine. Thus I did what I've always done since I started sewing in the 5th grade. I overcast with a simple machine zig zag stitch. I had no idea that was a couture technique I've been doing.
101_1648
Finally the skirt is done and ready to be attached to the bodice...
101_1572
I had difficulty keeping the points of the gore, so I sewed those sections by hand, which is how a couture house would have done it. Couture houses do more hand sewing than machine sewing so they have more control for fine detail. It certainly works better for me too! I admire those who can do everything so beautifully by machine. However I am happy to do hand work and am glad to find that the couture book gives me "permission" and moral support to do so! I feel like I am with kindred spirits!
101_1577
Another couture technique is to hand pick a zipper, which I did here. I learned how to do this years ago when my mom shared the technique that she had just learned from her Aunt Laura, the one I've mentioned before who used to sew her own clothes and work as an executive secretary in Manhattan years ago. I can't help but conjure up couture  images of her in New York City!
101_1586
Only a bit of hand work is left.
101_1589
After finishing the edge of the hem, I sewed a basting stitch to guide me to place an even hem. Since I am tall, and had to shorten some of the length because somehow my skirt pieces were of different lengths when I sewed them together, I lost a bit of length. Therefore I preferred to keep as much length as possible, so I made a smaller hem than was recommended by both my pattern and couture book. I hemmed my skirt by hand with a blind hem stitch.
101_1592
Hem from the outside while in the process of hand sewing...
101_1594
Finished hem from the inside...
101_1646
Finished hem from the outside...
101_1647
I was hemming miles of this skirt all day long. Thankfully it was finally ready in time for me to get ready for the party! I tried it on with my 1950's petticoat but it was horribly bulky. No matter. I decided to go with a more contemporary look for my 1957 dress. Later I'll work on my petticoat to refine the silhouette. That will be one of my sewing goals for 2016!
101_1596

101_1597

101_1598
At the Country Club...
101_1599

101_1600

101_1601

101_1602
With my husband. How about my big bow purse?
101_1604

Pattern: Vintage Vogue 1172

Fabric-Red/Black Changeable Silk Taffeta from JoAnn

Notions-Thread, Zipper

How Long did it Take to Make?-1 week

Cost-$25 (all items were on half price)

3 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, the perfect Christmas frock. Yay for hand-sewing as well - it's always fun to add that 'couture' feel to a project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm going to have to look for that book. I have that pattern in my stash somewhere and now am inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely color for you. You really pop in the dress! :) It looks great!

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete