Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A Crabby Day at St. Michaels, Maryland

I asked my husband if he'd like to take a trip into Maryland to complete my Row by Row free pattern pick up because the deadline was looming on the horizon. Of all the stores, there was one I was intensely interested in visiting, because I thought it was the most creative of all the rows I've seen...appliqued crabs on a pieced background. I loved the colors and arrangement.

The trip to Lilies of the Field required driving over the Chesepeake Bay Bridge...so that was another reason why I wanted to go. It was a rare journey to an entirely different ecosystem! I live so close to large bodies of water, yet I rarely get to see any of them. I used to ask about eating on the water front but no one had any ideas. My family had been disappointed because we used to eat at the San Antonio Riverwalk all the time. Eating along some of this deep water near Virginia and Maryland could be especially grand, but all our attempts to do so yielded little scope for the imagination.

Until...this day!   

We arrived in Easton, Maryland to a cute little quilt shop (no view of water from the shop but I knew it had to be yonder somewhere...) 


Here is their row display. What great creativity! All the options for how to use the row pattern from pillows to bell pulls. I especially was taken by the stuffed crabs hanging from the cages.

4
But the wall quilt...oh the wall quilt is what brought me in...hook, line and sinker! I saw this quilt on their website and knew I had to come here. I was willing to pay for extra fabric to put this together. They were wonderful showing me sample pieces and going over the instructions with me step by step to show me how this is put together. I hope I remember when I actually start to work on this!
1
Then in the course of conversation I was asked if we were staying in the area for a bit...which led to her telling me where we could get great crabs to eat locally (something we've wanted to do and have done once in Chincoteague...but not on the water, sadly). I asked, perchance, if this crab restaurant might be on the water and indeed, she could point us to a couple in particular!

Elated we drove a bit further south to St. Michael's, Maryland! Water, water everywhere! My kind of place!   All of the following pictures are of our view while eating!!!
7

7a

7b

7c

7d

8
I later learned there is a lot of British history here so we'll be coming back to explore that!
9

10

11

13

14
Our first course was hush puppies!!! Hardly anyone serves hush puppies anymore! I love hush puppies. Even fewer people know how to cook them well. These were excellent! They were a perfect accompaniment to our main course. Can you guess what we ordered??? The photo below holds a clue! 
15
Proof that we were at The Crab Claw of St. Michaels, Maryland! The agony of waiting for our food was intense! At least we had a great view while waiting!
16
And a few hush puppies to munch on...
17
Finally...there they were! Yikes...we bought all that? I thought we minimized these blue crabs as much as possible. We might be here a while...and we were. We were quite slow at cracking these, after a great demonstration and lesson from our server. The Old Bay Seasoning and melted butter were the only condiments we really needed.
18
Well, it was getting late so we asked for a "to go" bag. The kids were glad to see us bring these home for dinner that night!
18a
Then we walked around to see what there was to see...
19

20

21

22

23

24

25

26

27

28

29

30

31

33

35

37

37b

38

40
There is also a little town of shops to walk through a couple of blocks away. We'll have to do that  next time.
42
The return home across the Chesepeake Bay Bridge...
44

Bringing home blue crabs to eat and a blue crab quilt to sew...fun!

11223686_700508610080290_8337888766833370631_n

No comments:

Post a Comment