Sunday, July 19, 2015

Visiting the Udvar-Hazey

Today we took our first trip to the Steven F Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles Airport. We were glad that my son had finally completed many college commitments so that he could join us for our staycations! Because of that we asked him where he'd like to go, since it was his first trip in a year. The Udvar Hazy has been his choice for a long time! He was definitely in his element.

Our first stop was the air traffic control tower mock up which I was especially campaigning to see and wanted to be sure we didn't run out of time to experience all it had to offer. What a huge disappointment when my imagination didn't meet reality. It was nothing more than a mock-up with static controls and signage that told us how this and that worked. For some reason I envisioned interpreters or at least docents up there explaining and demonstrating how things worked with actual windows. Oh well. I won't bore you with all those photos. In fact I took 130 photos in all, including all the airplanes and space stations and such. Seeing and being surrounded by planes is nothing new to me. I have either lived on or near Air Force bases most of my life. I have been to numerous air shows. I have visited the parade ground at Lackland Air Force Base nearly daily...which has military planes along a lovely walkway, not to mention all the static displays on the base. In fact I used to jog around the parade ground in  my college years. We'd go for evening walks when my kids were little so they could become familiar with the vintage WWII aircraft, each one unique and fascinating. Thus I have decided to showcase only a few of my favorites, which always includes WWII and a few others! The rest I'll save for research for my future writing projects.

At the top of the tower are two levels. This bottom level allowed us to see the perimeter of Northern Virginia. In the distant are the Blue Ridge Mountains. The top level was the static display (no windows) of the controls of a control tower.  

101_0091
He is a huge fan of corsairs, as am I!
101_0105
I love the creativity of these WWII planes!
101_0107

101_0109

101_0117
Curtiss P-40E Kittyhawk


101_0120
Vought F4U-1D Corsair


101_0136
Langley Aerodome A from1903

I love Star Wars!
101_0155
US Postal Service Collection Box

The Space Shuttle Discovery flew over our house on the way to the Udvar-Hazey to go on permanent display, seen here!
101_0165
Space Shuttle Discovery

Ending with my favorites!
101_0193
Kittyhawk and Corsair

I'm sure all who visit  take gobs of photos and if they all had a blog, and were encouraged to choose only 10 favorites, we'd have a fun view of all the variety that is offered!

1 comment:

  1. Would you believe it, I've never (unless I was too young to remember it) been to an aviation museum. They are far more common in the US and UK, but we do have a few in Canada. One of the best known is in Southern Alberta and I'd really like to get to it the next time I'm in that part of the country.

    Big hugs & many sincere thanks (from both of us) for your beautiful blog comment today,

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete