Sunday, July 26, 2015

A July Visit to Colonial Williamsburg

Back in July, on the 26th to be precise, we took a journey to the 18th century of Colonial Williamsburg. We had made a few trips to the historic area this summer primarily at the prompting of a friend who was interning there during the summer. In all the previous visits my friend and I had lovely chats, but she kept urging me to return with my family so we could do lunch. Finally, this was the day!
Arriving on a hot, sultry day begs a leisurely walk to enjoy the scenery. I greatly enjoy the architecture and would love to recreate more of these looks in my own home. It's not often we enjoy this back portion of the historic area so I seized the moment. 

1
This is quite possibly my favorite house because it is tucked away from the busy-ness of the town. It's secluded among the horses and the trees which allows the soul to quiet and calm from the craziness of the 21st century.
2
I like all the variety of gate and fence styles.
3

4

5


6

7

8
Crepe myrtles abloom...
9

10
The tranquility of a rippling brook...
11

12
After lunch with my friend we went to the Oval Project to see the official photography in action. We grabbed a few shots ourselves!
13

14

15
Then we went to the armoury kitchen where the air smelled delicously of bread baking in the oven. We had a wonderful food chat while being tantalized by delicious smells we were not allowed to eat.
16

17
Protected under this cloth is the butter...a prodigious  Paula Deen-ish amount of butter!18

19

20

21
In the course of bread handling one roll attempted to escape to the ground but was gallantly rescued  by the cook so that he could enjoy the yumminess. Such a tease. lol
22
Tortured by not being able to eat freshly baked bread, we moved on to the leather workers across the way...
23

24

25
The circles are where buttons have been cut out for the leather breaches. Many buttons of the era were made of horn or bone.
26
After we left we walked down the street to meet with General Washington. Along the way we saw Mann Page and James Madison! My son walked over to chat with them after Mr. Page cheefully hailed him.
27
We have chatted with Mr. Page many a wonderful time, but this was the first time we've ever had a chance to chat with Mr.  Madison! That was great!
28
Our visit with General Washington, as always, was warm, encouraging and fantastic! After listening to his terrific public talk we got to chat with him on many an interesting and fascinating topic. All of these interepreters, such wonderful people. They make Colonial Williamsburg relevant. They care about us as guests and research their history deeply so that they can converse with us in many situations. How I miss them. They are my number one reason for visiting Colonial Williamsburg!
29
The day was coming to a close. As we walked to the Cheese Shop for dinner I took a few more photos of the quaint scenery as we passed by. 
30

31

32
These are 4 o'clocks which open during dawn and dusk. I grew up with these and used to play for hours with the large seeds they produce. They are extremely easy to grow. I have a seed pack at home that I forgot to plant this season. next year.
33
As dusk began to fall it was time to drive home. Looking forward to another visit to the historic area and the interpreters who are so willing to share their 18th century world with us!
34

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! It looks like an amazing time! I've never been to Williamsburg, but it's on the top of my bucket list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids and I usually dress up in 18th century clothing to enjoy the town. However I wanted to add, that with your 1940's sewing, you might want to definitely pack some of that too even for the modern town and sightseeing in the local areas. Then entire area is very open to the locals and guests who wear vintage clothing (20's-40's) to this spot or that. Of course 18th century is the theme in CW.
      Laurie

      Delete