Saturday, May 9, 2015

Upon Graduation

I just got a peek at my son's future graduation ceremony by watching the Patrick Henry College commencement on-line. I was so blessed by the beautiful ceremony. Reminded me of my graduation ceremony from high school (private Christian school) because they talked about the important things...Christ and Liberty. Although there were many, many wonderful speakers from the guest to the Chancellor, to the two graduating seniors, I'm going to focus on a few verses that dr. Veith shared:
"The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord." -Proverbs 21:31
"In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps." Proverbs 16:9
Dr. Veith affirmed that God  *does* want us to work hard in preparation. He will use that. That reminded me of another verse...
" But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect," -I Peter 3:15
These were the themes of our homeschool. So grateful that God gave the vision for this college to Dr. Michael Farris. So grateful to all the professors who have worked with all the students, even my son. My son was a deep thinker from early childhood. I felt a tug in my heart at the groundbreaking of Patrick Henry College that my son might be destined for this school to prepare for God's work. Even after the first month at PHC when we sat over dinner, I was amazed at the depths of his learning in so short a time. 

May each student, as one graduating senior spoke my very thoughts, take the vision of PHC with them. They aren't leaving behind a great place where they used to carry on the Great Discussion and share Christ and deepen their faith, they can continue the journey into the world. =)
The guest speaker, a professor from another college and who was chosen by the senior class because he was a favorite speaker from the Faith and Reasons lectures in their freshman year, said that of all the colleges he goes to speak, he gets the most deep, thoughtful and profound questions from PHC students. They even beat out the questions of Ivy League university professors.
I've hung out with many of these kids and their love is to talk deep thoughts and ponder away, but their passion is to share Christ and love others. What a great example they have been to me in my daily walk. My daughter and husband have also always enjoyed every moment with them too. My daughter especially enjoys having their fellowship to share deep literature thoughts with the mindset of Christ, since that is not a possibility at her own college. 

So blessed by the people I've met at PHC. Blessings to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment