I recalled reading directions for making an apron from a man's shirt. Yes! I found it on p30 and 31, under the month of January. It was originally written by a Margaret Murrin, for Inspiration, in 1925. There is no pattern to cut out and lay on fabric, but there were diagrams and explanations for 3 different variations of aprons. Interestingly, one apron used primarily the long sleeves from a man's shirt.
I didn't think I'd ever make these aprons. I'm not completely keen on them in the book. Nor am I completely keen on 1920's clothing. However I am a teacher by trade, I like to teach history with clothing...so I could at least save this for a history lesson someday. Little to my surprise...
I found a man's shirt, unwanted by him, but wanted by me. One sleeve is already cut out...
It was super easy to cut out! The diagrams and instructions are crystal clear about the cutting process! However I couldn't find the finishing directions. I assumed we were expected to turn under the edges and machine stitch. After doing that, it looked quite plain, so I decided to add white rickrack. The author had suggested using rickrack in the long-sleeve based apron, so I decided to go ahead and perk up this apron with rickrack. Also nothing was mentioned about how to attach the ties to the body of the apron. I considered just sewing them together but that made the apron a bit too tight when trying to take it off. I knew the best option would be a button and buttonholes.
I dug through my button stash and found these adorable heart buttons. Dare I say, the more I worked on this
The shirt pocket was right in line with one of the straps that I cut (this apron is all in one piece). Pockets were not shown in the diagram. I decided to keep the pocket for the fun of it. I could imagine the designer encouraging me to do so. I trimmed the seam line of the pocket with rickrack.
Here's the proof that it was once a man's shirt! A label inside my apron! I love it!
I love this apron!
The rickrack! The robin's egg blue fabric!
The criss cross in back!
The heart buttons!
And how about that unpractical pocket in the back? However I thought it was more practical to leave it on instead of ripping it out and destroying the fabric. How funny would it be if someone slipped me a note in my pocket while I was busy cooking?
Very simple. Cute. Only 2 hours to sew from a 1925 Magic Pattern, which really had no pattern as we think of it today. It was all written directions and diagrams.
Yes, I think this apron will get lots of use! Everyone in the family likes it and have pretty much laughed through the entire process. I don't think any sewing project has brought so many gleeful looks from my family members. Fun, fun, fun!
And now for the HSM details:
What the item is (and what practical things you can do in it): An apron made from a man's shirt using directions from 1925. Practical in that a man's shirt was used to convert into an apron. Cooking can be done with it, which is also practical, to keep my clothes clean.
The Challenge: Practicality
Fabric: Cotton/polyester from a man's shirt
Pattern: Magic Pattern
Notions: Rickrack, buttons
How historically accurate is it? Accurate in sewing method and style. Inaccurate in materials...I used my an old shirt. Can't imagine where I'd find a man's 1925 shirt...and not that I'd have the heart to cut it up. I thought it was practical to revive the 1925 pattern for today.
Hours to complete: Two hours!
First worn: Today for photos.
Total cost: Less than $6 for the rickrack was my current investment. Probably $10 for the shirt, years ago. The buttons were from an old garment from my daughter's outfit when she was a little girl, which might have been a gift from family,, or a yard sale or thrift store purchase I made. If I purchased it retail, I spent $10 or less on it. I simply don't remember which outfit the buttons came from.