Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace...and a Thrifty Announcement!

Last month our next door neighbor asked us if we'd like to join them and some other couples in the neighborhood to do the Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Seminar in their home. I had heard of Dave Ramsey through church and friends, so we said yes.

134_1978

A lot of what we are studying with Dave Ramsey is review for me. I used to listen to Larry Burkett on the radio all the time in the 1990's. I'd tell my husband, "We need to do ____________." Sometimes he'd agree, sometimes not. Now that he is hearing  much of the same thing from the Dave Ramsey seminar, we are on the same page!
Also in the 1990's I read two books that were profound in helping me fine tune our budget. When we were first married I was a public school teacher. When the kids came, I became a stay at home mom. My husband had a military career on the enlisted level, and everyone in the military knows that means we had to make our pennies stretch.  Some of my favorite resources when my kids' were little to try to find more in our little budget were the books Miserly Moms, and The Tightwad Gazette
Years ago while cleaning my bookshelves to make room for homeschool books, I found these grand resources that I gifted to a friend who was struggling financially. I felt I had internalized many of the concepts and thought she might like the information.
Now that my husband and I are going through Dave Ramsey, we are fine tuning a few areas now that we are on the same page. We are doing almost everything Ramsey suggests. Right now current college costs, the house, and retirement are our target goals.
How else to squeeze money from the budget? When my husband and I looked at that, I had a plan. Because my husband and I are now on the same page, all these crazy thrifting ideas I had in the past suddenly looks hopeful to him instead of restricting.
Therefore I thought I'd start a new series on thrifting on my blog. Because I'm such a vintage and history gal, I thought I'd call it Thrifting on the Homefront. Our mothers and grandmothers *had* to live this way due to the Great Depression and rationing during WWII. In fact, during WWII it was considered a patriotic thing to be frugal, which is a huge departure from how our culture thinks today.
Although we'll be doing more with less, I truely want it to feel grand so my husband and kids don't feel deprived! In fact it's to boost to my spirits too!  I have lots of ideas, including historical research into thrifting and interpretations, so join me for the new series Thrifting on the Homefront!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds exciting! I look forward to reading the series and hope that I'll be inspired to do better with budgeting, too. There's always room for improvement there, right?!? :)

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Quinn! So many great ideas out there! When I planned our WWII history presentations a few years ago, I ran across a lot of thrifting stuff that was part of the war effort. Then of course I remember the American Girl books my daughter read, both for Kit from the Great Depression and Molly from WWII.
      Laurie

      Delete