Friday, April 10, 2015

Institute for Excellence in Writing's Big Surprise for my Son!

Back in mid-December this large envelope came in the mail from IEW, the wonderful writing program we had used while homeschooling. I had been quite ill with little energy in December so I allowed the mail to pile up sans the bills. Assuming this envelope contained a catalog, I saved it for when I would feel better to enjoy all of their wonderful offerings. In mid-January I started to regain some health so I went through the mail pile and found a few surprises, one of which was this envelope that contained a paper my son had written. IEW wanted to use it in some of their publications. At that moment I had a flashback...

1

I dug through my e-mail for a communications I had received from the IEW yahoo group moderator...back.in October! She had attached flashback papers each of my kids had written, asking  me if they were indeed papers that my kids had written. Perplexed, I opened the papers and then I remembered having submitted them to the yahoo group a few years ago!  At that time we were studying the Bill of Rights when the moderator had posted an interesting new writing technique that includes flashbacks. I thought it would be perfect for our Bill of Rights study so I assigned it to my kids. When their papers were completed I shared them with the yahoo group.  I replied to the moderator that the papers were indeed my kids' (on a yahoo group it can get confusing which kids belong to which mother). I wondered why she was asking...now I knew!

IEW is so classy, they included the letter of request, an official form of acceptance for publication, as well as a self-addressed stamped envelope! My son had returned to college but we were planning a visit that weekend, and he happily signed off on the paperwork!

2

In February I was surprised to find this envelope in the mailbox!

3

In it was a certificate from Andrew (who teaches on the IEW videos and has successfully created happy writers of kids who previously abhorred the task) for my son!

4

Then in March, when my son was home from spring break, a box from IEW arrived on our doorstep. ???? I hadn't ordered anything recently. Then a lightbulb went on and I called my son down from his room while I had a feeling...is it possible he was published in the new TWSS that IEW had recently upgraded?

5


Inside was this gorgeously addressed envelope which announced that my son's paper had indeed been published in the new TWSS!

7

Tada! The newly upgraded TWSS! My son's writing sample can be found on p119 so that your child too can learn how to write in flashback style! Also included on that page are many tips on how to include flashbacks with various styles of papers and various ages of kids!

9

One of my favorite additions to the new TWSS is that it now has tabs to divide each of the units!  In my old one I used purple stickies to divide the units but this is great! The new binder is thicker than the older one I have which means...more input! The nine units of IEW are still covered, one tab per each, but now there are three new sections after that!  There is an entire section devoted to writing about literature, another on stylistic techniques and a third that contains many wonderful miscellaneous items, including many of Andrew's wonderful inspiring articles.

You can read more about how we used IEW on my Classical Education page...scroll down to Institute for Excellence in Writing. 

For more information here is the IEW Help and Support Page.

IEW is a wonderful company. In fact, they are our favorite homeschool curriculum due to their helpfulness and generosity! They have a 100% guarantee on all of their products. Every December/January they have a "12 Days of Christmas" giveaway, with a gift a day for all subscribers. In fact I had been asked to host a giveaway on my blog during the 12 Days of Christmas last season, but I was so sick that I wasn't on my computer much. You never know what fun and helps and surprises are in store with IEW, so be sure to subscribe, join their forum, get on their facebook page...and stay tuned!  

1 comment:

  1. What an honor for your son! Good for him (and for you, too!)! I'm so glad it all worked out for him even though there was a slight delay in communications.

    Andrew Pudewa is going to be at our state homeschooling convention this year (for the first time that I can recall) so I am looking forward to meeting him and browsing through their materials. We aren't in the market for them any more, but I have a few other questions I would like to ask IEW. :) If that book is there, I'll see if I can find your son's essay!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete