Friday, August 15, 2014

1950's Bombshell Bathing Suit

I finally finished the Bombshell Bathing suit. I used Butterick 6067 which was quite confusing.  Even though I made a mock-up, more errors were found in the elastic placement for the leg openings. I hadn't done the elastic on the mock up. None of the markings agreed with each other, so it took quite a bit of time to logically figure it all out. I also had a lot of trouble with the machine sewing, even though I used polyester thread, approved swimsuit fabric, a special stretch needle and a special stretch stitch on my machine. However every once in a while my thread would pop and I'd have to start again. The worst was stitching the running stitch on my machine on the lycra fabric.  This was necessary so I could do the ruching. I finally gave up and did the rest of the running stitches by hand with a special needle for handsewing for stretch fabrics. In the end, it all came together and it actually looks like a Bombshell bathing suit and it fits!

I put this post in the historical clothing category because it definitely hearkens back to the 1950's, yet is quite wearable for today with the modern swimsuit fabric.

In the beginning...

134_1091

134_1095

Finis! I'm still pinching myself that I actually sewed this!

134_1111

134_1112

My daughter chose the fabric at The Fabric Fairy which was a wonderful company to work with! The selection, of course, is gorgeous. Delivery was quick. Also shipping came out cheaper than the estimate, so they reimbursed the difference!
My daughter loves her new bathing suit! However summer has been quite cool for us, delightful 70's and 80's all summer. For us Texans, that's a bit chilly for the swimming pool. That was good because college soon starts. Oh well, at least my daughter's bathing suit will be ready for next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment