Monday, August 4, 2014

Remembering Jay Gaynor of Colonial Williamsburg

Today in my facebook newsfeed, I received some sad news via the Colonial Williamsburg Engraving Shop. Colonial Williamsburg's Director of Historic Trades, Jay Gaynor, passed away this morning. A Winter 2004-2005 article from the Colonial Williamsburg Journal written by Mr. Gaynor is here.
My son and I were fortunate enough to meet him a few years ago.
In June of 2011, my kids and I were attending a special Lord De La Warre day program at Historic Jamestowne. When we walked around the corner we saw a gentleman with longbows in his possession! Intrigued because we had been fascinated by our studies of the Hundred Years War, my son and I had to meet him and his longbows! My son got to try out the longbow (wow!) and we learned about the different points of the arrows. We spent a lot of time talking about longbows and the Hundred Years War. I mentioned to him how I had read the GA Henty book about the war aloud to my kids and he just sighed. He was definitely a kindred spirit! About midway down the post (via the previous link) are more details of our meeting.

102_0483
Trying out a Longbow

102_0484

102_0486

102_0487

102_0488

102_0489

102_0490

The following spring he invited us to a Longbow Tournament in Williamsburg. This time both my son and I got to try out the Longbow!

102_3928
Longbow Tournament

102_3929
Longbow Tournament

102_3931


102_3936
My Son Got to Try out the Longbow

102_3942
My Turn to Try out the Longbow

My condolences to Mr. Gaynor's family and friends. My son and I will always have the best memories of meeting him and of the opportunity to shoot a longbow. Someday we will have our own longbows...which will always remind us of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment