Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Cooking Crab Cakes in Memory of George Washington on July 9, 1755

The latest challenge in my historical cooking group is to cook something inspired by an event in history the day we cook it...or something like that. ;) I have been quite busy, and laid up with a sprained ankle after nearly tumbling down Maryland Heights at Harper's Ferry Historical Park. However I'm not in much pain and I'm still cooking. I had some crab meat which I recently purchased on sale as a monthly cooking treat. My hope was to attempt, yet again, crab cakes. That was the menu for the day.
Then I began to wonder if I could possibly link it to a historical event of the day. General Braddock's infamous demise and defeat during the Battle of Monongahela on July 9, 1755 in the French and Indian War kept popping up in my newsfeed. George Washington was there, then a volunteer serving as aide de camp. Because he rallied the troops and saved he British army from anihilation, he became a hero. Washington's name spread throughout the known world.
When I think of George Washington and food, I think most often of seafood. He was known to frequent Christiana Campbell's Tavern in Williamsburg, Virginia, a boast they continue to showcase to this day.  His writings share how he enjoyed the seafood there.

134_0832

And now for the HFF details!

HFF

The Challenge: #3 Today in History-"Make a dish based on or inspired by a momentous occasion that took place on the day you made it. Get creative - you would be surprised by all the interesting things that happened every single day!" -HFF



The Recipe: Colonial Williamsburg Historic Foodways-It's quite fascinating how the crab cake we know is quite different from that of the 18th century.



The Date/Year and Region: 18th century Virginia



How Did You Make It:I varied the recipe on my own. I didn't care for the original version, lol. Also the basic crab mixture wasn't moist enough or holding together at all so I added all of two eggs. Then it was a bit too moist, so I added a tad more bread crumbs. Also I was out of almonds so I didn't add any. However I did add minced onion and red pepper. I made these into balls and fried them in a pan with peanut oil (since that is healthier than butter). When they were browned, I turned them over and put them in a 350 oven to finish.  Meanwhile I made a quick orange butter sauce, similar to the CW recipe except I melted everything because we were about to eat. I drizzle a little over the top.



Time to Complete: 1 hour



Total Cost: $10



How Successful Was It?: Everyone enjoyed them!

How Accurate Is It?: Not at all. I didn't care for the colonial version, lol, so I adapted my own recipe, described above.

No comments:

Post a Comment