Thursday, June 5, 2014

Flagstone Garden Path

We've talked about creating a stone garden path for a few years since we have to walk through dirt and mud in our front garden to reach the water faucet. It not only messes with the shoes but also messes with the garden. We work so hard to attain friable soil that the last thing I want to do is undo all that work with footsteps.

I thought a garden path with flagstone would be a charming solution. It would not only define the walking space and protect the soil, but also add some visual interest to the garden.

Since we moved here five years ago we've been researching and investigating garden centers and stone centers. At the various places that we visited, they either had an expensive and ugly solution or we weren't allowed to pick and choose pieces. Although it's been quite the treasure hunt, we finally found a stone center nearby that would let us pick and choose so we drove over the day before Easter!  (So this was April 19.)


We found some lovely rosy peach flagstone but I had that in Texas. It was perfect set against our white house and tropical colored flowers. I loved it and it's actually my favorite but it is more southwestern to me and I was hoping for something that was quintessential northeastern, like blue stone. (Even though Northern Virginia is south of the Mason-Dixon Line, I am cold enough to call it north!)


We found a few color options we liked for the house:


Blue Stone... but it's not stepping stone quality...
Blue Stone

Colonial Blue Stone...

Colonial Blue Colored


and Colonial Plum.
Colonial Plum Colored

Of the options I kept hoping for the blue, but in the end we decided on Colonial Plum. We buy the stones according to weight and the plum stones were the thinnest. Also the plum stones were heavy enough as they were, that moving them around is a laborious chore! Less weight was cheaper and easier to lug around! Even though I wasn't as keen on the plum color, economics won me over.


We dug around to find a nice mix of color and shape. As we found each one, we laid it out in a path to measure how much we would need. Of course it won't be laid out exactly like this when we get it home.
Colonial Plum Colored Laid Out

Then my husband loaded it into the preweighed van, weighed it again and we had our price for the stone. I was thrilled that we came well under the $100 budget I had set aside for these stones!

108_1063

With the stone laid out next to our garden, the colorway of the plum seemed to take on a new path. I was liking it better.  After a few days of work, my husband had it all laid out.

134_0019

134_0020

134_0021

Eventually I'm going to plant seedlings in the cracks to soften the edges. Our garden still needs lots of work but plants in Virginia are expensive. Also quality plants are difficult to find. Sounds like another treasure hunt to me!  More on that in a future post!


I've linked my post to The Oregon Cottage's Garden Party.  (I can't find the image in the sidebar to grab. =( There are many other lovely garden ideas at the link to enjoy! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment