Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Wedding of Pocahontas and John Rolfe

Today my husband and I attended the wedding of Pocahontas and John Rolfe, which actually happened on this same day 400 years ago, April 5, 1614.
There were prodigious crowds so we couldn't see very well. My husband held his camera up high over everyone's heads to take these shots...
Before the wedding party arrived we listened to early 17th century music...

102_8904
The soldiers arrive...

102_8907
One fine soldier with whom I've made aquaitance many times before! =)

102_8908


102_8909
The brothers of Pocahontas...


102_8910
Powhatan...

102_8911
Ah, I recognize this most kind minister!

102_8912
Pocahontas and John Rolfe...

102_8913
I was most excited to hear, for the first time ever, a 17th century Anglican wedding ceremony! This was the one thing I highly anticipated.  Just as this minister (whom I also recognize!)  started the ceremony, he softened his voice to only mouth the words, so that, as scripted, various members of the wedding could speak out for all to hear their doubts and concerns as to this most unlikely match in marriage.  Alas, I understand this was for educating the audience, for in truth their were obviously concerns, and the actors did a brilliant job, however I was most saddened I did not get to hear the beautiful marriage ceremony, itself. =( 

102_8914

102_8919


It seemed that the only happy people, nay, joyous people at this grand event, was Pocahontas and John Rolfe! In fact, Mr. Rolfe voiced his exuberant joy over his bride at the end of the ceremony! Many blessings upon their marriage!



102_8921
And I just found this great article on how the descendants of Powhattan were involved in the reenactment!


And I just saw this great story of the wedding with pictures, from the Washington Post come through my fb newsfeed:

No comments:

Post a Comment