Monday, January 20, 2014

Sewing Aprons for the Family for Christmas Stocking Stuffers-My Own Pattern

I mentioned last Christmas that I was making some Christmas gifts.After finding a few fun small things for everyone, I decided to finish off the stockings with something that everyone in the family has needed more than once in the last year...cooking aprons!There have been many occasions over the past year where my husband, son and daughter needed one for cooking or grilling. I knew I could whip some nice ones up inexpensively and fill the stocking uniquely!

Then I realized I didn't have an apron pattern in the style I was imagining. None of the major pattern companies were on sale at the time. I decided that if I can drape historic gowns, surely I could raft a simple apron pattern! I simply measured on myself where I would like everything to be and came up with this.

108_0413


Since that is only an 8x10 piece of paper, I practiced cutting out those dimensions on a spare piece of fabric in my fabric stash then tried it on me.

108_0414

This will now be my pattern!

108_0415

I bought some thick canvas-like interior decorating fabric at JoAnns for the aprons.I wanted them to be a bit on the sturdy side.

My husband's favorite color is burgundy, so here is his apron. I used self-fabric for the ties, folding the strips under to a 4-ply before sewing them. I did this by cutting it a bit wide, then folding it in half, then in half again, so that the raw edges are on the inside. Before that I turned under all the edges to enclose the raw edge, and sewed everything down.

108_0161

My son's favorite color is blue...

108_0162

Then of course my daughter likes flowers. For her ties I decided to use extra sage ribbon that I had.

108_0163

Then I stuffed the stockings!

108_0164

They were a hit! They've been worn several times, even behind my back! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment