Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Visiting the Silversmith at Colonial Williamsburg

During President's Day weekend events last week we had time to visit the silversmith. Actually we popped in on a visit on Monday morning after all the events, in a mighty quiet historic area.  We were supposed to be driving home but I told my son we could take the long way, via a walk through the historic area!  One of our stops, after the milliner, was to the silversmith.  Although it was a bitterly cold and windy day, we delighted in the warmth of the crackling fire while watching the tradeswomen at their work.

Photobucket

The formation os spoons was explained to us...

Photobucket
...as well as the precision technique of cutting out filigree. I asked about that as I was admiring a piece. I adore filigree, and that is my term, not necessarily their term.  In response to my question, she pulled out this piece to show exactly how she cut out the pieces.  Brilliant!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment