Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Happy Birthday to my Daughter

 photo 108_0586.jpg

Today was my daughter's 20th birthday!  I can't believe it's been that long! This was her very first birthday to have to do school...I kept warning her that college would be her entrance to the real world. She was initially disappointed that she couldn't go somewhere special for her special day, but after some encouragement of how the rest of us have to do the same thing, she rose to the occasion.  For some reason she didn't expect anything.

Secretly I've been working on some sewing projects for her, mostly modern clothing.  I tried to teach her how to sew a nightgown she wanted so badly last summer, but she didn't get very far. I finished that.  I sewed other items that have been sitting in my fabric stash for months, fabrics and patterns she's shown interest in.  She got 2 new blouses, a skirt and a reproduction 1950's jumper. I also nearly finished embroidering a colonial pocket for her.  She was quite surprised to open everything. She recognized all the fabrics and at first thought it was merely my regifting the fabric to her, yet again.  If I don't have time to sew something, I'll simply wrap the fabric. She was surprised to pull the fabric out to reveal a finished garment!

She wanted a "crab" boil like last year, which was actually a lobster boil.  I had found tasty lobster tails at the local store, 2 for $5. Couldn't find them this year. I did find blue crab claws for $7 a bag.  Unfortunately when I went to cook them they stunk horribly and the meat was grey.  In lieu of seafood we went to Famous Dave's, since I had a coupon for 20% off our entire order.

Then we came home for gifts and lemon meringue pie made by Marie Callender, one of our favorite restaurants in San Antonio, Texas.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your dd. I can't believe my oldest will be 23 in a few weeks!
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your daughter!:) My oldest turned 20 ten days ago!:)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete