Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My Daughter's First Time to Vote and a Receipt (Recipe) for Election Cake

My original plans for election day schooling went awry. Alas the day was spent driving my daughter all over Virginia for her college classes. In between, she and I voted at the local precinct which was a wonderful experience! The workers were highly organized, professional and polite! This was my daughter's first time to vote, so that was a homeschool moment!

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon an alleged historic recipe that I wanted to try, but I was gone all day and didn't come home until late. Anyone ever heard of Election Day Cake? Apparently that was a historic recipe dating back to 18th century Connecticut. Anyone familiar with this or is this myth?

A popular activity is to color a US map in with reds and blues as the votes come in. To make that a bit more meaningful, a game like "Hail to the Chief."
2009

Fun movies include:

An American President (with Michael Douglas and Annette Bening)

Dave (with Kevin Kline and Charles Grodin)

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (with Jimmy Stewart)

State of the Union (with Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn)

For numerous thinking and research activities, including primary source documents, check this site. I liked the primary source political cartoons that show the origins of the donkey and elephant!

No comments:

Post a Comment