Friday, July 11, 2008

Visiting the San Antonio Zoo

The Japanese Tea Garden is next door to the zoo.  MIL loves zoos!  Even though we had planned to do lunch in Brackenridge Park and then do the museum, she suggested we sqeeze in the zoo too!  At the gate MIL was so sweet that she paid.  When asked if she had a military id for a discount, I dug mine out.  An elderly gentleman behind us was so sweet...he said that being military, we should get in free.  He saw me later in front of the bears and asked me which branch my dh was in.  He told me that he served in the Navy many years ago, for about 4 years. As he thanked me I was thanking him! He was a great encouragement to me!
The San Antonio Zoo was built in an old rock quarry, which provides a charming rustic setting near the San Antonio River. The zoo began in the 19th century and by 1929 it was known for it's cageless setting, one of my favorite aspects of the zoo! 

Well, we never got to see everything.  My son spent a lot of time getting the perfect picture...in the reptile house even!  MIL really wanted to go to the Witte museum too, so I told her to lead us to her favorite animals.  Because she adores kitties so much, she really wanted to see the lions.  Well, in years past I could have taken her right to them.  But the zoo has changed so much and the Africa area is going through more renovation phases, I'm not sure where they were hiding!  In all I think we saw 1/3 of the zoo.  Enjoy!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:


  1. your ds took awesome pics. I, like your MIL, also love the zoo. I can't wait to visit the one over here. It seems like you guys had an awesome time.


    ~JEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to think about your comment for a moment, Jen! LOL These are the pictures I took. =) DS' are in his camera and computer. I had quite the adventure last week just trying to upload pictures from MIL's and dd's cameras for our "Revolutionary Unit Celebraton" blog entry. I'm not ready to upload pictures from another camera for a while. I need to recuperate first! LOL It's nice to see you again! ;)

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete