Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Visiting the Japanese Tea Garden in San Antonio

While MIL was visiting, we decided to spend some time at Brackenridge Park.  While there, I wanted to go to the Japanese Tea Garden.  I used to love to go here while I was growing up.  Sadly, when I brought my dc here about 8 years ago, the gardens were dead, dry and destroyed.  I was heartbroken.  Then a few months ago I found out that the gardens had been renovated and opened!  We had to go!

In the 1800's, this was the site of a rock quarry and cement company.  Here are the old kilns.  

 

And here's the top...

 

After the rock quarry relocated, the site was transformed into a lovely Japanese Tea Garden.  The garden was taken care of by a Japanese family until WWII when they were sent to an interment camp.  The name was changed to the Chinese Sunken Garden and a Chinese family became the caretakers.  In the 1990's, the garden's name was restored to the Japanese Tea Garden in a special ceremony, honoring family members of the original caretakers.  I could not find either the old Chinese entrance I remembered as a child or the new Japanese entrance that was added in the 1980's.  Since it's only recently been renovated, it will become more lush and full over the years, and koi will multiply prodigiously. However, the gardens have been beautifully restored.  Enjoy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I love the garden. What a wonderful place to spend a few hours. I am sure you come away from there refreshed.

    Blessings,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! That would definitely be a place I'd like to hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and it looks so peaceful. I can see why you love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures are great! It must have been a refreshing visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply beautiful!


    Blessings,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. We visited the gardens back in the early '80s and the young memory of that visit made the movie Cloak & Dagger (1984) even more fun for me. I haven't thought of that movie in years and years! Thanks for the great pictures of a beautiful place.


    I'm another TOG blogroll blogger and see your comments from time to time on the TOG Forum and other blogs. Blessings to you in your Year 3 studies! We are starting Y4 next month!


    Mrs. Edwards

    http://sixedwards.blogspot.com (Veritas at Home)

    ReplyDelete