Saturday, May 10, 2008

Recycling Costumes for Awanas

Who'd have thought, all the costumes I've been sewing for history presentations would come in handy for another purpose?!  At the end of each Awana year, they have a leadership banquet.  The teens get a partner to decorate and serve the tables.  DD did this last year with a friend.  This year there was a theme:  Around the World.  They wanted elaborate costumes and table decorations.  I started to panic.  I have no time to make more costumes...I'm already busy with our colonial costumes.  Then I had an idea.  Would my children be willing to partner with each other and wear one of their previous unit celebration costumes?   Yes!  Whew! 

Here they are getting the table ready...



Meanwhile Italian music was playing in the background...



Mexican food was being catered and was already in the kitchen...



My dc's table theme was France...



DD had stamped fleur d'leis on cardstock for placemats...



DD had wanted an Eifel Tower but we couldn't find one.  I let the dc "shop" for things from my stuff at home...



DS wore his Three Musketeer D'Artagnon costume.  DD wore her dress from our Medieval Feast and portrayed Constance from The Three Musketeers.

They had a lot of fun! News filtered back that if prizes had been awarded that night, they'd have won first place for best table and costume!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day!

    What a fun event and your costumes are amazing.

    Blessings,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. MayTheyBeMightyMenMay 11, 2008 at 5:11 AM

    Fantastic! Your costumes are so lovely. They just need to be used as often as possible...before the kids outgrow them. I'm glad you got the blessing of using them, but better than that, everyone had the blessing of seeing them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to get more mileage out of all your hard work. I bet they were the best dressed at the affair. The table looked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photos are very nice! I hope that you had a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete