Monday, April 7, 2008

Colonial America Dialectic History Presentation

Welcome to our history presentation of the first thirteen colonies and European history in the 16th to early 18th centuries! 



Here are extra literature books that were read.  They are excellent but unfortunately out of print. We read these a few years ago.  However, since all of our other literature books had been read, these were a terrific review into some history of the Puritans in Salem before the witch trials.  One of the books is missing from the stack because ds was reading it.



Here we are!  DD was Pocahontas.  DS was Squanto.  I was a praying Indian.  The children each gave speeches on who they were.  We were extremely busy last week with finishing up the term paper and power point presentation; I didn't have time to supervise the construction of these character speeches.  The first I heard them was during the presentation.  They were excellent!  Then when it got to my turn, I used Socratic questioning to help pull details from the children on who I represented.  Since I didn't have a name, my dh and dc named me.  DH decided to name me Running Deer, because I am always running around and he always calls me dear.  LOL  The children went through many names for me...Evening Primrose, Sweet Primrose, Quiet Waters, Rippling Brook.  I'm not sure what they ended up with but I liked them all!



Because Ds studied animal tracks he made a model.



Here is the display table. Their term papers are on the left.  A Squanto audio CD from Focus on the Family is at the bottom. This was excellent! To the right is a rabbit skin we recently aquired. There are also some oyster shells they had collected while in Willliamsburg and Jamestown a few years ago. 



They wore most of their projects. DS made mocassins for himself and me.  He helped dd make hers.  DD designed and made this wampum/seashell necklace.  I did not have much involvement in this and I was quite pleased with how it turned out!  DD's work is usually quite random.  I've been encouraging her to use patterns in her beadwork.  This time she showed me the pattern in her beadwork she had designed.  Lovely!   



 DS made the hatchet, drawstring bag, bear necklace and wampum.  



He designed and made the bear claw necklace with an arrowhead, seashells and wampum.  He had made several extra strands of wampum, tied together on his belt.  Grandpa asked him if he had wampum and right on cue he showed him the wampum.  Now we can't find it anywhere!



The bulk of their time the last few weeks was invested in a 10 page research paper on the settling of the Thirteen Colonies.  They then used that information to do a power point presentation.  



Here he is talking about Jamestown, with the map above and the church shown below.






We had lots of food.  DS helped make the New England clam chowder.  DD helped roast the turkey, bake pumpkin bread with walnuts and cranberries, cook cornmeal mush with cranberries topped with maple syrup, prepare trail mix with pumpkin seed, dried cranberries, dried blueberries and corn nuts, and bake blackberry cobbler with cornmeal crust.  We served apple cider to drink. (Editor's Note 2011-There might not have been cranberries yet to eat, according to the Pilgrim historic site in Massachusetts. oops)



 Then we closed with what is considered the first Christmas Carol written in America, "Twas the Moon in Wintertime."  Written with imagery the Huron Indians could understand, it is a carol about the Christ child written by Jesuit missionary Jean de Brebeuf.  He was later tortured and killed by the Iroquois Indians.  Here is the  history and words with the tune.   




9 comments:

  1. As usual, great job and interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the detail and work your family puts into unit celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE reading about what you do with your TOG program! Your children always have such neat projects and parties :) I'm so glad you share them with us.

    Blessings to you and your family,

    Rosina

    ReplyDelete
  4. To add to the other comments, y'all did a great job, and it is always inspiring to see what other TOG families are doing. Next year we start Unit Celebrations I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful job Laurie! When you said there weren't many hands on items this time because you all were working so hard on the 10 page report, I didn't expect to still see so many things they had made! Your ds is amazing! And your food sounds delicious! Great job as always. I can't wait to "come" to your unit 4 celebration! (I think you should have yours first and that'll give me lots of good ideas for ours!)


    Blessings,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! All the costumes, food, and the presentation looks amazing! I wish I could've been there to watch it!

    Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and thank you for sticking out this challenge with me! I know God will reward us for being faithful.

    Hugs,

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  7. MayTheyBeMightyMenApril 11, 2008 at 5:04 PM

    Fantastic! It's just amazing what you all do at the end of your units. I'll just confess and repent of my jealousy.


    You all do beautiful work, and it looks like it would be so much FUN! I'm so glad you share these celebrations because it really reminds me that school can look very different...and it can be WONDERFUL!


    You inspire me. :'D

    ReplyDelete
  8. you must be so organized to fit all those projects into your schedule. My kids seem to take forever with thier math that it leaves little time for any interesting projects. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great job you have done on this unit celebration. I enjoyed peeking in to see how others handle this and what they focus on. You have a lovely blog and a sweet family! Thank you!


    Langhavenslatest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete