Tuesday, April 29, 2008

He's Home from Maryland and Chincoteague!

My dh finally came home a few days early! The one Saturday dh was there, he went to a place the dc and I have been begging him to let us go to.  Does this remind you of a famous children's book?



Ever read Misty of Chincoteague?



Here are one of the wild ponies on Assateague Island.



Assateague Island is a barrier island. Marshes face Chincoteague Island...



Whereas the other side has the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean...



Assateague Island is a nature preserve with many animals like bald eagles...



herons...



wild deer...



and even ducks...



This is the area where the ponies swim across the channel between Assateague Island and Chincoteague Island every Pony Penning Day...



Here is the fire department that sponsors Pony Penning Day...



You can even ride some of the tamed ponies...seasonally.  April is not the season, but summer is. 



My dh had promised to take us out here as well as Colonial Williamsburg and Washington DC for our summer vacation this year.  He told me I had 14 days to allot for the vacation, so I've spent many hours of squeezing in lots of fun.  Then he said we had to add Chincoteague to the list.  I didn't know how to fit that into our already scheduled 14 days. 





5 comments:

  1. Wow. I guess it's a good thing to find out that an area is not the place to move to before you get the house sold, etc. Sorry it was such a hassle to get him and his luggage back. :'(


    Mostly sorry that the vacation isn't working out for the summer. We haven't had a vacation in years, and I keep wondering when we'll get one. I guess we can be grateful for our free tickets to Six Flags from our reading program. ;')


    Have a good rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your dh is back home with you, and so thankful his luggage arrived safely! How neat that he got to visit Chincoteague! I'm sorry you won't be able to go. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I forgot to sign my name. It was me. (Pam) :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am so jealous!! I want to take my family to see these ponies in the worst way. I hope next year! Thanks for the links. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. safe and sound. My sister has been to Assateague Island and Chincoteague Island and absolutley loved it. I hope you will someday get your chance to visit. It will be so nice for you when your husband retires. Hope he finds a job he will like. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete