Thursday, January 10, 2008

Quilts-From Winnie the Pooh to Rockets, Trucks and Trains Too!


(I have no nieces, but one nephew who is 18 months old.  Before he was born, my brother and his wife had chosen Winnie the Pooh and yellow and green for the theme and colors, since they did not know who they were having until he arrived!  So before he was born, I found some soft yellow Pooh fabric which was tone on tone.  I got a yard for the front.  Then I got 1 yard of white minkee for the back.  Of course minkee will make anyone say, "Wow!"  It was the hit of the baby shower and my nephew has used it well since he was born.  I figured by 18 months, he'd be ready for a new blanket!

When I was at a quilt show a few months ago, I saw these kits. 



It looked easy and very boyish...all vehicles!  Also, there was some of that wonderful minkee to put on the back!  Here's everything laid out that was in the bag...



Then I got to work rotary cutting.  I laid all my fat quarter piles at the top.  I had to cut each fat quarter into various sized squares and rectangles.



It was easy to lose place of which shape I was cutting in the directions, so I got a lime green sticky to help me keep track of all the sizes I had to cut.



Then I had trouble keeping track of my various sized shapes.  So I cut up an index card and labeled each with the dimensions, to keep track of my piles of cut pieces.



Once I got them all cut out, the fun began! I got to mix and match patterns while I assembled the blocks.  Then I sewed the blocks together into rows.  Then I sewed the rows together.  After that I laid the right side of the quilt on top of the right side of the minkee and sewed around leaving an opening to flip it out.  After turning it inside out, I hand sewed the opening closed. Then I got the blue DMC floss to tie off the quilt.  And here are the results...



My nephew is not too sure of anyone but his parents and my mom...who takes care of him.  sniff, sniff  So I thought this would be a great way to worm my way into his heart! =)  This was his Christmas gift, but when I gave it to him, he was distracted by everything else.  Not surprised!  I've had kids that age! The other day Mom called to tell me that he loves his quilt!  I said I suspected once he got bored he might notice it! (He gets into *everything* and that's how he spent Christmas Day, getting into *everything* at my mom's house!)  She said he always insists on taking that blanket to bed every night!  =)

7 comments:

  1. MayTheyBeMightyMenJanuary 11, 2008 at 3:17 AM

    What a sweet blankie! You did a fantastic job on it. You just know that is going to be a favorite for awhile!


    I always want to be somewhat "domestic" when it comes to sewing, but my sewing machine doesn't like me. *giggle* Nevertheless, I try! God has wired me to be able to look at something and sort of just cut things out (in fabric or in paper). If I was to draw it, it would never work. But, cutting is pretty easy for me. Now, if only my sewing machine would cooperate and quit doing bad things with thread. *lol*


    Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful. It looks soooo soft. you did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful, and as always, I am in awe of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I especially love the blue "Minky" fabric for the back. That stuff is soooo soft.

    I like the idea of a quilt in a kit. My big problem is that no matter how much I measure, my blocks never come out right. I have made 2 quilts, but don't look too close, LOL!

    I'm Mom2fur of Sortafrugal.blogspot.com, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SongOfTheSagebrushJanuary 11, 2008 at 7:56 AM

    So pretty...I wish I could sew better...I need to get a machine that works, my 12 yo would totally get it, I'm sure, maybe she'd teach me! ;o)


    The bicycle is REALLY sturdy...nice springs, hubby especially liked the handlebar style, I wouldn't have to be bent over as with the mountain bikes. It's 7 speed, and I love it. Totally recommend it! It's a Schwinn, the model is called "Roxie"...found the pic. on Amazon's site, he got this one at Target. If you're in the market, definitely consider this one!


    Blessings,

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great job Laurie!!


    Blessings,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. and the quilt is too cute. I've been by a few times, but keep getting interupted before I can comment. You did such a lovely job. I really would like to get my son's scrap quilt made for his birthday, but there have been a pile of projects put on my list. Yours is lovely and you did a wonderful job. I'm sure you have won your nephew's heart.

    ReplyDelete