Saturday, December 8, 2007

Raindrops on a Turtle's Head

While playing ball in the backyard today, my son found a turtle that had crept under our gate!  My daughter ran in to tell me and I couldn't believe it! 


He was such a shy fellow.  DH began to think he must be dehydrated so he started dripping water from the garden hose on him.  This turtle reminded me of BJ Thomas' song, "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head."

"Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed
Nothin' seems to fit
Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'"


"So I just did me some talkin' to the sun
And I said I didn't like the way he got things done
Sleepin' on the job
Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'"




"But there's one thing I know
The blues they send to meet me won't defeat me
It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me"




"Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Cryin's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me"




"It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Cryin's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me"




We were prepared to take him to the pond in the neighborhood behind us.  Then dh decided he must have come from our next door neighbor, who has a pond in the back yard.  Sure enough, the neighbors thought it was theirs, so he was returned.  In our hearts though, we felt sad about this.  The turtle had lots of scratches on his back.  DS figured that came from the dog next door.  There isn't much care of things next door, and ds thought the turtle would escape to the peacefulness of our back yard.  I was almost prepared to start digging a pond for him in our back yard.  I wonder if he'll be back?

6 comments:

  1. What a cute turtle- maybe he will come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots of the turtle! How neat to finally see his head. We would have been sad to see him go, too. Have I ever told you that several months ago in early spring we rescued a baby possum in our backyard? She had gotton separated from her mother and would have surely died (she was still nursing exclusively). We made a habitat for her in an extra aquarium we had, and kept the aquarium on top of a heating pad all day/night, as possums like to be really warm. We fed her formula and named her Isabelle. She loved us and we loved her. She really thrived at our house. We only had her a week, but it was a really fun week, she was so fun to hold! We were able to find a wildlife rehaber who specialized in possums, so we took Isabelle there to finish growing up and then she was released back into the wild. I only wish we already had our digital camera back then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love turtles! I loved the song too. Did you sing him out of his shell? That's the way it seemed. I just sat here singing out loud imagining him coming out to see who was singing. LOL :o)


    I was just commenting to another friend how when I feel down I love going around reading other poeples post because I always seem to find one that makes me smile. This one sure made me smile today! Thank you for posting those beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat little visitor! I have never seen a turtle really close up before so that is neat :) I'm glad that you found out who he belonged to and maybe you can go and visit him sometime *grin*

    Blessings to you and your family,

    Rosina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always had a bit of a thing for turtles. If I didn't already have so many mammals to take care of, I might get a turtle. He is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son has had many 'pet' turtles over the years. The past few summers he has built some elaborate habitats for them, including getting a kiddie pool, logs and rocks and buying turtle food to keep a pair for about a month for a scout project. They became fairly tame and would come out whenever he brought them food and changed the 'pond' water. My mom collects turtle figures. Her house is filled with them. Love your pictures. Some great captures.

    ReplyDelete