Friday, October 26, 2007

I Think I Can, I Think I Can, Choo-Choo Quilt and Bedroom


Here is the third quilt I have ever made. My son has grown up adoring trains.  I looked in vain for the perfect train pattern to quilt.  Finally, I made my own design.  This is machine appliqued and quilted so it can take lots of using and washing!



Close up...



I got my inspiration from the walls I had painted a few years earlier. It's very simply painted, not professional by any means, but fun and whimsical for a child. My son, who loved trains when he was a toddler, got trains puffing their way through the Colorado Rockies!  This was my very first wall mural.  I was originally inspired to do this when I saw Matt and Sheri, from Room by Room, do this on HGTV.  They did a race car mural in a boy's room and Sheri showed how she used a children's book for inspiration.  For my son's walls, I used pictures from Colorado from our vacation, and train pictures from children's books.  I used his foam block set to trace basic shapes in pencil on the wall and I painted over that. That is the snow covered Pikes Peak behind the bulletin board.



I sewed a simple valence over his window...



In each corner on each side of his bed I painted tunnels.  Going in...



Coming out...



I painted trains on his pillow case and sheets.  I found an iron-on template and painted that.  You can see the border of the pillow here.  I painted the purple mountain majesties over his bed...



His choo choo knick knack and tropy wall.  The railroad crossing sign is a growth chart...



My husband built the shelf in the photo above.  He made an engine coming out and caboose going in.  Here's the engine coming out...



And here's the caboose going in...



Goodbye! Chug-chug-chug-chug, chug-chug-chug...whoo-whoo!

10 comments:

  1. Mom2fur of Sortafrugal.blogspot.com here. That train quilt is awesome, as is the whole bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK....are you really Martha Stewart?! Absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute! I'm still trying to decide what we are going to do in my sons room. He's 8 and whatever we decide on I want to be able to last for a while *grin*

    Blessings,

    Rosina

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing your son's room. I am feeling inspired to dig out the pictures of B's room when he was a baby and share them. It was never completed because we moved, but I loved what was done. So much so I dreamed I made H pull the sheet rock down and move it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful quilt and room. Good work for a happy childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and very clever. Your son must adore his room. You are extremely talented and gifted. I love all the attention you put into making the room tell a story. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the room and the quilt. What a wonderful talent you have.

    Blessings,

    4sweetums

    ReplyDelete
  8. NCLighthouseKeeperOctober 27, 2007 at 3:39 AM

    Your son's room is wonderful! I am such a slacker in this area! My kids have been after me to do their rooms...and my own is in desperate need of some decorating attention. I do have the ability ~ just not so much the motivation... thanks for the bit of inspiration!!

    <><

    Beth

    www.nclighthousekeeper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute room!! I'm sure your ds loves it! So do I understand correctly that you made this quilt YESTERDAY???? In ONE day???? How did you do that?? You're amazing! You've got me thinking about Sew Crafty Fridays. I'd have to find another time to prepare for my co-op classes than Thursday night, because Friday afternoons are usually naptime for me!


    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is AMAZING! What a blessed little guy to be so loved on!


    Warmly,

    Lori

    ReplyDelete