Sunday, September 2, 2007

Bear Lake Quiz

After lunch near the Alluvial Fan, we headed for a hike around Bear Lake. Last year we quickly hiked around the lake, then up in elevation to a Nymph Lake, then higher in elevation to Dream Lake, then higher in elevation to Emerald Lake, underneath an alpine peak with a glacier and waterfall. This dismally chilly afternoon we decided to leisurely walk around Bear Lake and use a field trip booklet I had purchased.

Bear Lake with Hallett's Peak in the background...

Bear Lake RMNP 2007

Fireweed amongst evidence of beaver work...

Photobucket

The highest peak on the left is Long's Peak, the only 14er in the park. "14er" is Colorado Speak for a mountain with over 14,000' elevation. The jagged peaks to the right are the Keyboard of the Winds which as the wind blows through the air sounds like musical notes...and yes, we heard the lovely sound while on another hike!

Photobucket

Friendly ground squirrel...

Photobucket

No, it is not a chipmunk, it is a ground squirrel! During lunch they begged for food, as always (which we do not give them, park rules to keep them healthy). We argued with my son until we were blue in the face that this was a chipmunk. Then he pulled out all those wildlife identification books I had purchased. Chipmunks are smaller (though you can't tell by the picture) and have stripes on the cheeks. Ground Squirrels have the white circle around the eye. We had to apologize to my son who was gleefully correct and I am here to tell the world...*this is a ground squirrel*! ;)

Indian Paintbrush...

Photobucket

Photobucket

See that tree trunk, bent near the bottom? That is a snow knee. That happens when heavy snow pushes against it.

Photobucket

Is this a ground squirrel or chipmunk???? If you are not correct, my son will come and lecture you until you get it correct! Lol This one was standing up while my daughter spread her fingers out to get him to stand. My son is the professor and my daughter is the animal trainer!

Photobucket

Stellar Jay...

Photobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Oh Laurie,


    Your pictures are incredible!! I will come back when I have more time and really look them over.


    Thank you so much for the extra prayers last week. You blessed me deeply when I read that in your comment.


    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! What gorgeous pictures of a beautiful place. I really enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful time that must have been. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place for a nature walk.

    Blessings,

    4sweetums

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...normally I would have said chipmunk, but since it has the white around the eyes, I will go with ground squirrel. What do I win?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say it's a combination so...ground squichipmunk? LOL


    I would say Chipmunk???


    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete